Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dana Street Roasting Co. -- Mountain View

Set up more as a neighborhood shop, Dana Street Roasting Co. is not only out of the way for road travelers, it's also a couple of blocks off the acclaimed main drag of Mountain View, Calif. -- Castro Street. (I found out later, as I was chugging it back to the light rail station, that there was a shop on Castro I overlooked. So I probably will be returning to Mountain View sometime soon).

As for the Dana Street shop, it reminded me a bit of Barefoot Cafe with its neglect for providing a comfortable, relaxing place to sit and talk, do work or just take a break from a busy day. Like Barefoot, much of the furniture looks as if it came from Goodwill (not that there's anything wrong with that) and a portion of the seating area is dominated by the roasting equipment and wooden pallets holding yet-to-be-opened coffee bean sacks. Some of the tables are so small, I could barely fit my 15-inch laptop next to my drink, let alone set any books or papers alongside. If you order a sandwich or a pastry, forget about it -- either find another table or start shuffling your stuff around.

I'm sure the coffee itself is exemplary -- a Best of Mountain View winner in past years, according to its Web site -- so that appeals to the pick-up-and-go crowd. I didn't bother hanging around for a taste test, but I was there long enough to figure out that Dana Street Roasting is a locals' place -- perhaps even more of a night spot for many -- and not really a must-go shop for those passing through.

***
Dana Street Roasting Co.
744 W. Dana Street
Mountain View, CA 94041
(650) 390-9638
Map

1 comment:

  1. Hey Stephen,

    First time reader! ;) I love what you are doing here. I am going to surf around more after I leave this comment.

    I love your description of the shop itself and how you described the seating area being dominated by the roasting equipment. It made me want a picture of what you were talking about to go along side your drawing descrition.

    I noticed it has been a while since your last post and I would love to see you jump back on the saddle. I have a passion for coffee and shops as well and would love to work with you if possible.

    Thanks for the great review.

    - Jason Coffee

    ReplyDelete